Thursday, May 3, 2012

Newt Finally Slithers Away



Photobucket


Read Transcript of Newt's Farewell Speech Here

Highlights from the speech:

Today, I'm suspending the campaign, but suspending the campaign does not mean suspending citizenship. Callista and I are committed to be active citizens. We owe it to America.
*
Callista and I have done seven documentaries. She's entered the author phase of trying to lead and educate with "Sweet Land of Liberty," in which Ellis the Elephant introduces 4-to-8-year-olds to American history in an effort to fill the vacuum left by all too many modern educators.
*
But beyond that, I want to come back on one of the projects I feel saddest about not communicating very well and talk about brain research...
*
I will focus again on national security in three zones: radical Islamists, where we still do not have a grand strategy. I was nice that the president broadcast from Afghanistan. The center of al Qaeda today is Yemen. I'm not sure the White House has gotten that briefing yet, but they will eventually.
*
My wife has pointed out to me approximately 219 times, give or take three, that moon colony was probably not my most clever comment in this campaign. I thought, frankly, in my role as providing material for "Saturday Night Live" it was helpful.
*
. . . the courage to say to young people, yes, you ought to go into math and science, because there's a wonderful future doing really important things.
I happen to think that's a better future than methamphetamine and cocaine...
*
As to the presidency, I'm asked sometimes, is Mitt Romney conservative enough. And my answer is simple. Compared to Barack Obama? You know, this is not a choice between Mitt Romney and Ronald Reagan. This is a choice between Mitt Romney and the most radical leftist president in American history.



******************************



Newt has mentioned: The Kaiser. Moon Colonies. Holograms. Electromagnetic Pulses. This speech rules.
~ The Fix on Twitter

Newt Gingrich suspended his campaign today, powering down Callista and putting her in sleep mode.
~ Andy Borowitz on Twitter

Newt was once the Speaker of the House. Now he is just a speaker. He just talks and talks. A professional talker, nothing more.
~ Comment by RaceToTheBottom on Atlanta-Journal-Constitution

He's 4 million$ in debt, won only two states, wanted a permanent base on the moon, got bitten by a penguin. Newt Gingrich i'll miss you #USA
~ Kate Forbes, BBC Producer, on Twitter

"My marshmallow power core was exposed to moisture 2 days ago & began to mold. Thus I must quit the race." - Newt Gingrich
~ Rob Delaney on Twitter




Big thinking, bold Newt Gingrich is America's real-life Captain Kirk
~ Official Fox News Headline about Gingrich bowing out of the race

Ann and I are proud to call Newt and Callista friends. We look forward to working with them in the months and years ahead.
~ Statement about Newt's withdrawal from Republican Candidate Mitt Romney

Politics is weird. And creepy. And now I know lacks even the loosest attachment to anything like reality.
~ Shepard Smith of Fox News after reading Mitt Romney's cheery and fond farewell to Newt Gingrich

Today is a day in presidential history that history will soon forget.
~ Lawrence O'Donnell on MSNBC

My fellow Americans, (and the star council from Praxis 12) tonight I have decided to allow the American people the opportunity to elect someone clearly inferior to myself. Let me be the first to say, I told you so.
"I told you so.
"While it is true that I have spent months branding Mitt Romney an oscillating faux-conservative Jell-O weasel, now is the time for all of us to come together…and read A Nation Like No Other: Why American Exceptionalism Matters, now available on Amazon.com. I also have a few copies here in my coat pocket….
~ Excerpt of Rachel Maddow's version of a Newt Gingrich Farewell Speech, from MaddowBlog.

They're calling Newt the biggest gas bag to go down since the Hindenburg.
~ David Letterman quoted Here

Time magazine has come out with their 100 most influential people issue, and Newt Gingrich is not on the list. In fact, he's not even on the list of the 100 most influential Newts.
~ Jay Leno quoted Here








Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment