Sunday, April 22, 2012

Spooning Up More Controversy




BabySpoon60


I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth. Michelle wasn't, either. But somebody gave us a chance. Just like these folks up here are looking for a chance.
~ President Barach Obama in a speech to a group of students in Elyria, Ohio, from MSNBC, Official White House transcript HERE

Speaking of rhetoric, he (President Obama) had some fiery rhetoric pointed at you yesterday. He said 'Unlike some people, I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth.'
~ Fox and Friends Steve Doocy, misquoting President Obama during an interview with Mitt Romney in order to watch the reaction, Video Here

Well, you know, the president is really taking aim at anybody he can find these days. In fact, in my case, I'm certainly not going to apologize for my dad and his success in life. He was born poor. He worked his way to become very successful despite the fact that he didn't have a college degree....But I know the President likes to attack fellow Americans. He's always looking for a scapegoat, particularly those who have been successful like my Dad. And I'm not going to rise to that.
~ Mitt Romney's shocked reaction to Doocy's misquote of Obama

We all know when you’re talking about somebody born into privilege it can only mean Mitt Romney. So petty, and it is bound to backfire on the president, because being born rich is Mitt Romney’s greatest accomplishment.
~ Stephen Colbert, quoted in the LA Times

Excellent reporting, Steve Doocy, and I know good reporting. I am an independent news man, not some smug, self-satisfied brown-noser toadying for the Republican establishment… unlike some people.
~ Stephen Colbert also from the LA Times

As Doocy prepares his remarks, he might consider not only clarifying the real quote but also retracting the smirk that accompanies his false question. The smirk tilts from right to left along Doocy’s smug mug (left to right if you’re Doocy himself). It spans the 10-to-13 second mark of the video at the top of this post. It’s the sort of signal, so often seen on Fox, that lets Republicans interviewees know they’re welcome here.
~  Eric Wemple on Washington Post

“Last week President Obama talked about not being born with a silver spoon in his mouth. That was interpreted as a big dig at Mitt Romney....When I was interviewing Governor Romney on this show I asked him about it. However, I did some paraphrasing that seemed to misquote the president. So to be clear, the president’s exact quote was, ‘I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth.’ And I hope that clears up any confusion.”
~ Steve Doocy of Fox News, quoted on Talking Points Memo






I was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth.
~ Rocker Pete Townshend of The Who, from the 1966 song "Substitute" - lyrics on Songfacts

'Unlike some people, I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth,' Obama said. That’s not just snotty — it’s woefully ignorant of the American spirit.
~ The New York Post, requoting Steve Doocy's misquote instead of the President


The GOP....My father was dirt poor and worked hard. OR my grandfather was dirt poor and became a self made man. LOL GOP the party of their parents and grandparents.
~ A comment from Biltmore on Huffington Post

So to be fair, he wants to take your silverware and spread it around.
~ Tweet from apparently bitter Would-Be Republican Presidential Candidate and ex-Senator from Tennessee, Fred Thompson

"Obama's War on Spoons" ~ Headline from Fox News Nation

The silver spoon since I’ve been alive has been an affirmative action silver spoon.
~ Pundit Ann Coulter quoted on Daily Caller

Those of you who have covered President Obama know that he has used that phrase to describe his background many times in the past. And I suppose anybody who thinks it was a reference to them might be a little oversensitive -- unless they think that when President Obama said it three years ago it was in reference to them.
~ Press Secretary Jay Carney, quoted by ABC News


No comments:

Post a Comment